Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Dad's reason why we (the Schut family) moved to Canada

Dad had written his memoirs years ago. I was fortunate to have found it, allowing me to incorporate his memoir into my blog. Below is a snippet of his memoirs... stating why we moved to Canada. Later on in this blog, I will post the entirety for all the family to read and take light of the families adventurous journey.


"... Once the War was over, I was called back to  my job with the Railway Police in Leewarden. By that time, in 1946, Henny and I were seeing each other on a steady basis and talking about getting married.

During the War, there was no difference who or what you were. Politically speaking, whether or not you were Liberal, Democrat, Communist or Federalist, it didn't matter. The common bond was that we were all against the German Occupation. But after the war, different political opinions once again became "important".

My parents were of the old-fashioned Christian-History-Union and Henny's family were of a Labour party, similar to the NDP party in Canada. These two parties were as different as black and white. My relationship with Henny was very upsetting to my father. So much so, that on the day before our wedding, he told me to run to the phone and tell Henny and her family to "stay where you are; the wedding is off". Needless to say, I didn't listen. On July 01, 1947 we were married....

...for a variety of reasons, we wanted to go someplace far away from Holland. The family feuds and the daily struggles to make ends meet were only two of the reasons..."