Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Our grand parents accounts....

I do not have any stories of our grand-parents war activities at this time; I wish that we were still in Holland so I would of learned more of my grand-parents history. Our family moved to Canada when I was only 6 years old; all the stories on what our grand-parents did during the war was never passed down to us. The only thing I have to offer my blog at the moment is the awards my grand-father Elbertsen received. It is my hope that the relatives living in Holland could provide some sort of incite into our grand-fathers war activities. With so many awards presented to my grand-father Hendrik Elbertsen, I am sure he had a lot of stories to tell.

I will try and contact some relatives in Holland and see what we can come up with.

Till then this will have to do.

August 25, 2014 - I have received an email from Edouard Reniere

He was given a request by Ms Price, to find out about her father's evasion.
Below is a part of the email that pertains to my grandfather...



...Searching further on the name ELBERTSEN yesterday, found that it was the family of Hendrik ELBERTSEN who sheltered your Father for one week in Hoenderloo, The Netherlands...

On my friend Bruce Bolinger’s website page:
wwII-netherlands-escape-lines 
(Dutch helpers -  http://wwiinetherlandsescapelines.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/e21.jpg

the address given for Hendrik ELBERTSEN is Apeldoornseweg 59… and GOOGLE Maps shows some kind of farm at that address :

I went the the internet sites mentioned above and found the following:

this snippet is from the archive files, showing my grandfather's involvement.
Edouard was so kind and re-translated the above, to read as follows:


"Earl Price, who was the only one who escaped capture, landed in a field about 15km south-southwest of Zwolle. He walked through the fields for three days and arrived at the village of Hoenderloo where he was hosted for a week by Hendrik ELBERTSEN at 59 Apeldoornsesweg. Hendrik’s son Jon (or Jan) and Price rode by bicycle towards the Belgian border and arrived around 18:00 in ‘s Hertogensbos, where Jon (Jan) left him and returned home. From there, Price walked alone to the south and on August 19, the day of the Dieppe Raid, he found himself at a point 6km from the Belgian border."


For additional reading of the above snippet, please click on this internet address:
Earl Price evasion report